How to apply for free school meals
This website allows parents to purchase school meals for their children and pay online. It allows you to read about forthcoming school events, and see what menus are on offer weeks in advance. This page tells you how you how to apply for free school meals for your child.
Free School Meals:
All pupils in reception, year 1 and year 2 in state-funded schools in England will be eligible for Universal Infant Free School Meals (UIFSMs). This will include academies, free schools, pupil referral units and alternative provision as well as maintained schools.
In England, children at key stages 2-4 in state-funded schools are entitled to receive Free School Meals (FSM) if their parents or carers are in receipt of any of the following benefits:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseekers Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- the guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided they are not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and
have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190, as assessed by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs)
- Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working
- Universal Credit – if you apply on or after 1 April 2018 your household income must be less than £7,400 a year (after tax and not including any benefits)
Application is easy. All you need to do is complete a form available from your school and send it to the Free School Meal service in your county. The only information the service requires is your name, address, date of birth, your National Insurance Number, the name of your child/children and the name of the school they attend. The team will then confirm if your child/children are entitled to receive Free School Meals.
If you would like more information, please contact the Free School Meals Team at your County offices.